Our Caring Team ministry looks for opportunities to provide for the needs of our congregation as well as those of the local community. Among the ministries overseen by the Caring Team are the following:
- Home-bound Holy Communion: Several assisting ministers visit home-bound members of the congregation to serve Holy Communion, in rotation with pastor and intern. This provides more frequent visits along with fellowship that is very much appreciated by those unable to worship with us on Sunday.
- Prayer Shawls: Shawls, hand-knitted by members of our congregation, are dedicated at a worship service and given to people in times of need, such as those dealing with an illness or grief. The group meets several times a month and invites newcomers who enjoy knitting to join them in this ministry.
- Mobile Market: Provides a truckload of food to people in need. Members of St. Barnabas help distribute food.
- The Giving Tree: During Advent, a Christmas tree is placed in the Narthex and decorated with tags bearing the gender, age and an item of need for clients of the food pantry. Know as The Giving Tree, it’s an opportunity for members of our congregation to take a tag, shop for a gift, and wrap it as a Christmas gift for the recipient.
- Meals: We coordinate and provide meals for members during an illness, after a hospitalization or at other times of need, and provide a Thanksgiving dinner to residents of a low-income housing development for senior citizens.
- Grief Support: Support is available for those who are grieving a loss.